An experienced, technically strong, accountant is required to manage and coordinate the production of year-end statutory accounts. The successful candidate will have up to date technical knowledge and have previous experience in producing the year-end accounts for a local authority and liaising with external auditors.
Key objectives will include:
• Day-to-day management of the team of accountants, allocating work effectively, ensuring deadlines are complied with and that performance objectives are met
• Contributing to the transformation of the division, by streamlining and shortening the closedown process
• Overview and quality assurance of capital accounting as part of the year-end activities
• Managing and developing the production of the statutory financial reporting of the council
• Management of the audit liaison process
• Liaising with multiple stakeholders
• Chairing regular meetings and providing written and oral updates on progress to senior management and audit teams
• Liaising with various finance & non-finance departments to ensure detailed workings along with supporting evidence is compiled to support the financial statements
• Delivering project work in relation to financial control improvements
• Determine and document consistent accounting policies in accordance with best practice, proper professional standards, and relevant codes of practice, ensuring their application throughout by consulting with, and providing definitive guidance to, the team of accountants.
Applicants must be CCAB qualified and have a detailed knowledge of the technical and strategic framework within which local government operates.
Experience in producing the year end-accounts for a local authority, with a strong track record of successfully managing a team of accountants is required.
Experience of developing and maintaining relationships with internal and external holders, including but not limited to external auditors is required.